[Sop.Tec.LinuxPPP] ZDNet UK News: CeBIT 2000: MS working on Office for Linux

This ZDNET UK News story has been forwarded to you by elchubi en hotmail com
who has added these comments:
Será? Claro que no creo que tenga algo que ver con GPL

CeBIT 2000: MS working on Office for Linux

Thu, 24 Feb 2000 13:31:26 GMT  Will Knight

LinuxCare's Tyde reveals Microsoft could be developing a version of
Office for the Linux platform

On Thursday, at the CeBIT exhibition in Hannover, Arthur F Tyde, the
executive vice president of LinuxCare, revealed the strongest evidence
so far that Microsoft is developing a version of Office for the Linux
platform.

According to Tyde, there are strong indications that the software giant
is about to offer the leading suite to the Linux community, which is
sure to spin some heads. A long-standing criticism of Linux as a viable
desktop alternative has been the lack of user-friendly word processing
and spreadsheet applications.

"I have heard there are 34 developers working at Microsoft to develop a
version of Office for Linux," says Tyde. "I don't know whether it is
true, but I've heard that from a number of different sources."

Tyde's credentials within the Linux development community are
impeccable.  LinuxCare provides training, certification and a wide
range of development support for developers of every Linux distribution
available.

It is widely known that Microsoft has been hiring Linux developers, and
some have speculated that the software behemoth could even be in the
process of producing its own Linux distribution. But while Tyde doesn't
think this is the case, he says he and others would actually welcome a
Microsoft version of the Open Source nemesis to the Windows platform.

"I would like to see a Microsoft version of Linux," he adds "If they
played by the rules, then we would support them."

Microsoft was not immediately available for comment.

Will Knight is reporting from CeBIT. A follow-up to this story is
expected by Friday.

Back in December Guy Kewney thought Microsoft may be muscling in on the
Linux bandwagon
(http://www.anchordesk.co.uk/anchordesk/kewney/0,2415,7100822,00.html).
Go with Guy Kewney to find out how far away this move could be and what
will be the major stumbling blocks...

What do you think about Linux running Microsoft Office, or even
Microsoft Linux? Tell the Mailroom (mailroomuk en zd com).

For full coverage, see ZDNet UK's CeBIT 2000
(http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/specials/2000/01/cebit2000/) special.

If you found this ZDNN news report valuable, why not sign up for the free daily ZDNN News Alert - and we'll email you our top five headlines every day.
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/misc/newsletters/news.html

ZDNet News: The UK's best source for computing news - updated throughout the day.
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/

Please report any abuse of this service to ukwebmaster en zd com

Lista de soporte de LinuxPPP
 Reglas de la lista en http://pepe.net.mx/reglas.html