[Ayuda] [jnagyjr en joseph-a-nagy-jr homelinux org: [gentoo-user] [OT] Thread Hijacking]

----- Forwarded message from "Joseph A. Nagy, Jr." <jnagyjr en joseph-a-nagy-jr homelinux org> -----

Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 10:36:04 -0500
From: "Joseph A. Nagy, Jr." <jnagyjr en joseph-a-nagy-jr homelinux org>
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Thread Hijacking
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user en lists gentoo org>

What exactly is thread hijacking? It is where you hit reply, change the
subject and remove completely the original text of the email. Unfortunately
that doesn't break the thread as the original headers are still completely
intact (unless you use an email client that is known to break threads
because it is a worthless piece of shit) and it is that header information,
not the subject line and content, that determine if the email is part of an
existing thread.

"So what," some of you may ask, "and why should I give two shits since my
email client doesn't thread the discussions?" Well, for those of you sorry
enough to not really care (I know that some of you really do care, so if
this doesn't apply to you, don't take offense), the whole question is
answered simply enough.

There are those of us who use threaded email clients (sylpheed, mutt,
Thunderbird/Mozilla, Evolution, etc) and use that to our benefit. For
example if a thread is of no interest we don't read it or pay attention to
new messages in it. This does affect you because if you hijack a thread,
most likely your question will not be answered except by those who are
already helping people in that discussion. While those people can certainly
help in most cases, you are severely restricting the amount of people who
can and will help.

So, in conclusion: Do not hijack the fucking thread. If you have a problem
type in the list address into the from bar (or better yet, add it to you
address book, that takes no more then three or four clicks with Yahoo or
Hotmail or Outlook/Outlook Express, those of you using sylpheed are on your
own, with mutt it takes a few simple keystrokes) of a NEWLY composed email,
type up your problem with all relevant information and hit send. You should
see an increase to the amount of people helping you. Personally I'm gonna
start moving posts from regular thread hijackers to my plonk box.

Someone else can feel free to stick this in an FAQ somewhere if they'd like,
just give credit and contact info.

Oh yeah, this email/document is protected by the GFDL (Gnu Free
Documentation License).
--
AIM: pres CTHULHU	ICQ: 18115568	Yahoo: pagan_prince
Jabber: DarkKnightRadick@(jabber.org|amessage.at)

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Custer committed Siouxicide.