Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 11:31:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dave Whitinger <dave en whitinger net>
To: linux-news en threepoint com
Subject: [Expo] StrongARM, ShowCam, Corel, Extreme Linux

I've seen and heard lots of cool stuff that affects the Linux community,
so here goes:

1.  I saw Corel's VNC computer.  It's really nice.  About 3" wide, 9"
tall, and 6" long.  It has (I think) 32MG or 64MG of ram, a color LCD
flatscreen display, and runs a modified version of Red Hat Linux 4.2.

2.  Digital has a little hand held Linux box, about 3"x1"x2".
It also uses the StrongARM processor, 32MG or 64MG of RAM, and it runs on
2 AAA batteries!
Running high loads, the batteries go for 19 hours, idle, a week.
The screen is a black and white LCD display, about 1.5" x 1.5".  It uses
a plastic pen to type.  It looks like a lot of fun, and has potential
to lead the way to better "wearable" computers.  It's so small!

3.  Red Hat has Red Hat Linux 5.1 here, and they're selling it for a
special price of $29.95, only at the show.

4.  There is a showcam available at http://www.labs.redhat.com.  I
haven't looked at it through a webbrowser yet,so I can't verify it's
existance, but it should show live images from the GNOME booth.

5.  Extreme Linux is here - and it's awesome.  You can take several
computers, string them together with Ethernet, and you've got your own
Soupercomputer!  They demoed it with 4 P2's, and it was quite impressive.
Now I need to go get myself 20-30 486 machines!!

6.  Corel verified to me that they are porting *every* single application
to Linux.  This means that Corel Draw, Word Perfect, and all the other
excellent Corel apps will soon be available for Linux.  They are very
excited about working with the Linux community.  I see only great things
coming from this.

That's it for now!

Dave

--